"Man Sues Google for Defamation"
"They have to take some responsibility for what passes through their search systems." Christopher Dibb, barrister for Mr Trkulja
OK So where does it stop:
- Should the internet service provider take responsibility
- Telephone company
- Owner of the cables connecting anywhere between your computer and the server
- What about the manufacturer of the Wireless access point?
- The operating system
- The web browser
- Owner of the house you are sitting in at the time of reading, maybe the cafe
- Government for owning the air
Save us from stupidity.
Are they seriously expecting a service to be responsible for what automatically passes through.
Let us take a blog poster
- Blog post writes something bad - well deserving of such a ruling
- Owner of the blog site (e.g. Facebook/Twitter) - should they now vet and edit each entry?
- Blog site is hosted at a platform provider (e.g. Amazon) - should they be responsible
- And the list goes on.
- Now a web cache keeps a copy of the content, a search engine tracks it.
Are we really suggesting that the medium of transfer is responsible and not the producer or editor of the content.