Notes on SimpleDB
While using Amazon Simple DB I have run into some issues which required quite a lot of digging to resolve. I have listed them here.
- Amazon::SimpleDB - seems very incomplete on CPAN
- Amazon::SimpleDB - same name, but different implementation on Amazon site, works but difficult to use.
- DBD::SimpleDB - registered name on CPAN, but no implementation
Conclusion: Amazon SimpleDB seems to be not very well supported on Perl. There is a lot of examples that are in Perl, most of which do it very low level. This is fine for a command line interface, or monitoring, or a utility, but not as a general API for DB access.
UPDATE I have discovered CPAN "SimpleDB::Client" and "SimpleDB::Class" - that may be the answer to my problems. Will get back to you.
TODO: Work out best Perl API/system to use.
- SimpleDB allows attributes names to be almost any UTF-8 data, just like the values.
- How to you use these in a "select" by using a ` (back-tick) around those.
- Normal quoting of a ' (single quote) is used for values
- You can't type "SELECT" you must do "select" - the SQL seems to be case sensitive
- Order by clause can only be a single attribute
- A "like" in the "where" must contain at least one "%" or it will error